SPICY BLACK BEANS AND RICE
* 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can canned Mexican style stewed tomatoes
* 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 2 cups hot cooked brown rice or long grain rice
* 1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
In a medium saucepan cook 1/2 cup onion and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown.
Carefully stir in the drained beans, undrained tomatoes, and ground red pepper.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
To serve, mound rice on individual plates; make a well in the centers.
Spoon black bean mixture into centers.
If desired, sprinkle with chopped onion.